We know that starting a new scoping or proofing relationship can be scary. But with a little preparation, you CAN start to understand and communicate your expectations.
Now, this isn’t the first time we’ve talked about How to Find, Vet, and Hire Scopists and Proofreaders. But we haven’t really talked about how to prepare yourself mentally (and maybe even emotionally) for building an all-star team of scopists and proofreaders.
But there is still a lot to consider before starting to search for a new transcript teammate. And it’s wise to analyze your expectations.
Determine Your Expectations as a Reporter
So, how do you even start? Here’s a quick checklist of considerations:
- CAT Software – Obviously, if you’re hiring a scopist, you must be using compatible software. Stenovate lets you specify your CAT software in your professional profiles. And, when a reporter creates a scoping job post, only scopists on the same CAT software are notified.
- Reporter Preferences – Create your preference sheet or take this quiz to receive your custom preference sheet to share with new teammates. You can even upload your preference sheet to your Stenovate profile so your teammates always have easy access.
- Typical Turnaround – When do expect a proofed or scoped file returned? Stenovate lets you set a standard turnaround time from the date of for scoping, proofing, AND when it’s due to the reporter’s client.
- Communication – Will you use email, text, Facebook Messenger, OR…Stenovate’s built-in instant messaging?
- Transferring Files – How will you send CAT files, audio, exhibits, and other helpful documents? Dropbox, WeShare, SendThisFile? Did you know Stenovate also has built-in file sharing with no size limit? Plus, files upload FAST, and you never have to worry about setting up and sharing new folders with new teammates.
- Title Pages & Indexing – Will it only be the “body” of the transcript or are you also asking for title pages and indexing to be completed?
- Rates – Get a rate sheet from any potential scopist or proofreader. This will help clarify their expectations around “add-ons” for expedited turnarounds, daily work, technical or video upcharges, growth fees, etc. Stenovate profiles have an area for scopists and proofreaders to upload their rate sheets for your review when vetting potential teammates.
- Payment Method & Terms – Make sure you’re using a payment method that the scopist or proofreader accepts. (Pssst…Stenovate is already working on making this easier too!)
What Else? It’s always wise to think through any additional expectations, such as research, final spell check, quoting from exhibits, dictionary work, etc. Anything that you’re hoping your teammates can do to help you move faster and be more efficient.
Most Importantly, Communicate!!
The key to kicking off a successful business relationship with a new transcript teammate is definitely communication. 💯
With clear expectations and the right tools and processes in place, you’re ready to start building a team that will help you drastically save time and even increases income.
Ready to start searching for your transcript dream team?
Start a 30-Day FREE trial of Stenovate and experience the magic that can happen when you get your teammates and tools into one, seamless platform. Happy Stenovating!